| Dear Friends of Greentown Labs,
Carbon management is a vital tool in addressing the gigaton-scale need for carbon dioxide (CO₂) removal and preventing global temperatures from rising 1.5°C above pre-industrial levels. That’s why we’re thrilled to share that the Carbon to Value (C2V) Initiative is now accepting applications for Year 3 of its world-class carbontech accelerator through March 31!
Supported by the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA), the C2V Initiative is a unique partnership among the Urban Future Lab at NYU Tandon School of Engineering, Greentown Labs, and Fraunhofer USA that’s driving the creation of a thriving innovation ecosystem for the commercialization of carbontech—technologies that capture and convert CO₂ into valuable end products or services. The program aims to foster a thriving community of industry leaders and entrepreneurs focused on both reducing harmful CO₂ emissions and spurring economic development.
Since the C2V Initiative’s inception, the program has supported 18 groundbreaking carbontech startups—chosen from an exceptional pool of more than 230 applications. The initiative is currently seeking startups between TRL 4 and TRL 7 that are developing scalable solutions for carbon capture, management, removal, or conversion. See below for the technology scope areas and read the full call for applications here!
Technology areas include, but are not limited to:
- Carbon capture, such as atmospheric (e.g. DAC) or point source (especially from hard-to-decarbonize sectors)
- Carbon conversion to added-value products, such as CO₂ mineralization into building materials, CO₂ conversion to fuels (e.g. SAF), and chemicals (and related feedstocks such as syngas)
- Carbon dioxide removal (CDR), such as ocean alkalinity enhancement, enhanced rock weathering, etc.
- Enabling technologies, such as measurement, reporting, and verification (MRV) systems for carbontech (software and/or hardware), financing and insurance, and carbon markets
Selected startups will work closely with the C2V Initiative’s Carbontech Leadership Council (CLC), an invitation-only group of corporate, nonprofit, and government thought leaders across diverse industry sectors who foster commercialization opportunities and identify avenues for technology validation, testing, and demonstration. The CLC’s involvement offers startups exposure to a diverse array of market and business verticals in addition to tailored mentorship from some of the industry’s leading professionals. The goal of these startup-corporate engagements is to foster collaboration opportunities across the carbontech ecosystem.
Startups: the C2V Initiative can help you accelerate and scale your technology while accessing the connections you need to succeed.
- Join a six-month accelerator designed to help you advance your technology within the burgeoning carbontech market and policy landscape
- Tap into the C2V Initiative’s extensive network—including the Carbontech Leadership Council; expert mentors; and resources from the Urban Future Lab, Greentown Labs, and Fraunhofer USA networks
- Receive a non-dilutive stipend of $10,000 per selected startup to support your participation in the accelerator
If you have any questions, you can reach out to Greentown’s Director of Programs, Marinna Teixeira! Know of a startup that could benefit from exposure and knowledge-sharing with key players in the carbontech industry? Be sure to tell them to apply by March 31 and help spread the word to others in your network! For more info, read the full RFP.